Primates & Caves Experiences 4 days 3 nights
Tu Lan Caves – Hatinh Langur – Son River Cruise
Quang Binh, located in the northern central of Vietnam has about 68% natural forest cover, ranking the second largest province in Vietnam with natural forest. Within the 8000 square km are many protected primary forests and the largest cave system in Southeast Asia. Quang Binh is where you’ll find Son Doong cave – the largest natural cave in the world. It is a place where you’ll find Vietnam’s endangered primates such as the Hatinh langur (also known as the stripe-headed black langur). 11 families with more than 150 individuals of Hatinh langur are living in Thach Hoa and Dong Hoa, two communes in Tuyen Hoa district, Quang Binh.
These precious old world monkeys are protected being protected by local volunteers living in Tuyen Hoa. To support these volunteers, Di Di Thoi Tours of Oxalis Holiday Company has created a conservation tour “Quang Binh Caves and Primates Experiences”.
A 4 days 3 nights package tour designed for nature lovers and cave explorers in mind. This is a one of a kind tour where you will explore stunning caves in Quang Binh limestone mountains and learn about the Hatinh langur- a unique old world monkey on the IUCN Red List of threatened species.
This unique tour will create jobs and income for a group of 15 volunteers who are protecting these langurs in Thach Hoa and Dong Hoa, including Mr. Nguyen Thanh Tu, the group’s leader. In addition, Di Di Thoi will contribute 100,000 VND / per guest to fund conservation activities run by this conservation group.
- Visitors will experience many interesting activities including camping in Tan Hoa commune, a flood-prone area of Quang Binh, visiting local homes, eat dinner with local and learn about how people here live and cope with yearly floods.
- The tour also brings visitors to explore the Tu Lan cave system, a filming location of many famous movies such as Kong: Skull Island directed by Jordan Voght-s-Roberts, or The Immortal by director Victor Vu. Tu Lan was the favorite destination for tourists last summer.
- Observing, take pictures and learn more about the unique wildlife – Hatinh Langurs through the volunteer group who will share stories of their journey and effort to protect these rare langurs. You also can watch the langurs jumping to gather food in the early morning before they disappear into the vast forest and majestic limestone mountains.
- Enjoy the local cuisine and a night’s stay at local houses
- You also have the opportunity to watch the langurs hunt for food in the morning before they disappear into the vast forest and majestic limestone mountains.
- The tour also takes you to visit local villages on the banks of Son River. Di Di Thoi’s cruise will take you upstream of Son River and visit craft villages and watch locals making traditional pancakes and raising carps and eels. Feel the tranquility in the afternoon as you watch the daily activities taking in rural Quang Binh.
- Our journey ends with a night stay at Chay Lap Farmstay, a residence located in the middle of a vast green forest. Here you’ll enjoy the peace, tranquility while having all your needs antincipated and met with ease at our resort.
Join us on the journey with Di Di Thoi tour to have the best experiences while supporting these truly meaningful and humane conservation activities!
PRICING & AVAILABILITY
Our packages are available throughout the year.
4 days and 3 nights
The adventure level of this tour is easy and suitable for most adults who are in good health condition; exercise, and outdoor activities regularly. Other sightseeing activities included in the package are suitable for families who love nature experience.
- 8 - 9 km of trekking
- 1 - 4 km of caving and crossing the river
- Swimming with short distances
- 1 day in Tu Lan cave
Number of Participants
Minimum 2 pax - Maximum 12 pax for join-in basic tour. The private option can be booked from 2 person through to any maximum number. Please enquire for the prices of each group.
The minimum age requires for this package is 16 years old.
All tours conducted with qualified guides and vehicles fitted with seatbelts. All accommodation provided meets safety requirements.
Please make your reservation as soon as you have travel plan. You are required to pay a full payment for your booking to be confirmed.
If cancellation request is received and acknowledged:
- More than 30 days before tour departure you will receive a full refund
- If it is between 30 days to 15 days before tour departure you will be charged a cancellation fee of 50% of total booking price
- If cancellation request is received less than 15 days before tour departure no refund will be provided under any circumstance
VND 9.000.000 pax
(The actual schedule may vary depending on the availability and departure schedule of tours but make sure to provide the full experience in the program)
Dong Hoi - Tan Hoa
(Transfer - Dinner - Camping)
Your tour guide and car will pick you up at Dong Hoi Airport/ Train Station and transfer you to Oxalis Office at Tan Hoa, Minh Hoa. You will learn about the cultural life of the Nguồn people, visit the “floating houses” and see the rural life of the locals in Tan Hoa.
Get to know more about local food and culture by having a delicious dinner at a local house. Share interesting stories, have a good time and enjoy a cozy night at one of the most gorgeous campsites.
Tu Lan Experience 1 day – Observing Hatinh Langurs – Dong Hoa Commune
(Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner - Camping)
After breakfast, you will attend the briefing, complete luggage packing, and sign the disclaimer. The group will begin the journey by trekking across 2 km of corn and peanut fields to arrive at the Rao Nan River.
After crossing the river, you will climb the first hill to explore Rat Cave, a small but beautiful cave. Drop downhill into the next valley. Cross the valley on a flat path to reach the entrance of Hung Ton Cave. You will climb down about 15m with an additional safety rope before swimming out of the cave to reach To Mo Valley, where you will enjoy a fascinating lunch outdoors.
After swimming, you will climb over Hung Ton hill, cross Hung Ton valley, and a further small hill to go back to the Rao Nan River. Finish off the second day and return to the Tan Hoa office where a cold drink awaits.
Customers can take a shower and then transfer along the Ho Chi Minh road to the Oxalis Camp in Dong Hoa Commune. In the afternoon, the Hatinh Langur looks for food near the campsite. Customers have the opportunity to observe and learn about the habits and living characteristics of this species with the local volunteer defenders.
In the evening you will receive camping facilities at local resident’s house, and enjoy an amazing dinner is well- prepared by friendly and hospitable owners.
Observing Hatinh Langurs –River Cruise – Chay Lap Farmstay
(Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner - Accommodation)
From 6:00AM – 9:00AM is time for breakfast and it is the appropriate moment to approach and record images of the Hatinh Langur lifestyle. The local volunteer will show you the most convenient location for Hatinh Langur sightings.
Back to the campsite, pack up and move along the 12A and 1A Highways to Lien Trach Commune. Board the Di Di Thoi Cruise. A delicious lunch will be served on the cruise to help you rest and recharge for the next portion of the tour. This is your chance to relax in the cool water of the Son River. Our Phong Nha Sunset Cruise will take guests up river past quaint villages, where locals can be seen going about their daily activities on the riverside. The cruise will continue winding down river past farmland where you’ll no doubt see buffalos grazing, and children running along the river banks. You will enjoy some light snacks and a cold drink as you soak up the spectacular views of the surrounding mountains, and listen to some interesting local stories by your professional tour guide.
At the end of this tour, the boat will take you back to Chay Lap Riverside. Travelers can enjoy water sports (kayaking, basket boat, water hammock…) or rest by the bamboo rows reflected on the green river.
Bus transfers to Chay Lap Farmstay - dinner, rest at the resort.
Chay Lap Farmstay - Dong Hoi
(Breakfast - Transfer)
A day for you to experience Chay Lap village in your own way.
Normally, visitors will get up early for running or cycling around Chay village, check-in and watch the pretty sunrise on the small suspension bridges. After breakfast, families can relax with free activities reserved for them such as gardening, relaxing fishing or kayaking / SUP.
After checking out, a private car will see the group off to Dong Hoi airport/train station (according to their departure itinerary). If you have a late flight in the evening, you can stop at the Oxalis beach office, swim and enjoy some seafood before you take a taxi to the airport/train station (4-5 km) from Nhat Le beach.
Parting - Ending the journey.
- 1 night at Chay Lap Farmstay (double rooms, single guests can add an extra bed).
- 2 nights at the campsites with fully camping gear: tent, camp light, sleeping bag, mattresses, pillow
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, life jacket, gloves, safety harness, ropes.
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water filter
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only)
- River Cruise
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and safety assistant
- Porter and chef
- Binoculars (Limited)
- Shuttle bus from Dong Hoi – Phong Nha.
YOU WILL NEED TO BRING
For Tu Lan 1 day caving tour:
- 1 pair of long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek.
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary
- 1 change of clothes for after the tour
- 1 pair of calf-length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- Medium size backpack (25 L) for your water bottle, personal belongings and provided caving helmet
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera